1. Designing to stand out, with lots of flair and a flashy design
A visitor may think your site looks cool, but they may not remember what you are trying to sell because clarity may be compromised.
2. Too much content on any one page
Too much information can overwhelm people, and actually turn them away rather than draw them in. Keeping each page concise (three main sections of content) will make your content more digestible.
3. Not testing the website on all devices (desktop, mobile, tablet, etc.)
Designing your website to be responsive (the website re-sizes based on the size of the screen) makes your website available to a wider audience. Many people are now using their smartphones and tablets to surf the web, so it's important to optimize your site for these users.
4. Not having an email list signup or request for contact information.
Many people who visit your website may not buy your product or service, but you can stay on their radar by offering an email list and mention what benefits they will receive when signing up for news about your startup company. They might change their mind or reconsider your offer in the future, given more information or incentive.
5. Not offering a free trial before asking your customer to buy
Offering a sample of your service is one of the most effective ways to persuade people to use your service or purchase your product.